Wednesday, March 05, 2014

Curing Cabinet: It's the Final Countdown

As promised I'm going to wrap this guy up today. At least the build part anyways. As of writing I'm about to hang my first product on the rack, so if you're still around after this series I'll be updating on what's curing, and what else is being built. (oh yes, there is more)

Buttoning up the control units: So everything is wired, I've tested the fridge to make sure there are not going to be any last second surprises like, "oh hey, the humidifier is smoking." Instead of simply disconnecting the controllers and rewiring the whole thing over again through the plate, do yourself a favor and mark every wire. I mean it, read these words out loud. Mark every wire before you disconnect it with its corresponding number and distinction of which control unit it goes to. 


As you can see I not only numbered each one, I bound each controller wires separately to one another, indicated temperature controller with a T and humidity controller with an H, and color coded just for good measure. Trust me you really don't want to do this over once you can barely see the ends while half the wires are similar in color and size. Can you tell I'm an English major by the post it notes I have laying on hand?

I slapped the front panel back on and proceeded to wire the humidity controller in first since I had placed it above the temp control and therefore in a harder to reach location. Now considering all the grief I just doled out about wiring and planning ahead, not wanting to do something over again because you didn't think it through the first time: well about that...


That's the front plate not closing all the way because there is not room enough for the humidity controller to fit in the compartment where the old temperature sensor was. But how? They are the same type of controller, the hole size for both is exactly the same...


Oh. That is the old controller on the right, next to the new temp controller which happens to be the same size as the humidity controller. I think there is an old, old, old saying that goes something like: "measure twice, cut once." In fact, I can hear my Grandpa Joe endlessly repeating it on a loop in my head as I now stare at the embodiment of my shame.

 I could lie here and now. Say I took it all in stride, picked up the pieces and moved on. But reality is never as neatly wrapped. There was panic, there was cursing, there were offers made of Faustian proportions. I thought of making a spacer around the front, drilling into the first layer of fridge, buying new control units, all before I made my final deal with the devil. 

"Measure twice, cut once," was the quote I was supposed to have remembered. The one I turned to for inspiration now is one of my favorites, and comes from an older movie called the Newton Boy's

"Like mama always said, god hates a coward."


Yep, I sawed off the back of my controllers. Just like with the humidifier before, don't bother calling tech support if you device doesn't work after this unless you just want to give them a good laugh. In fact just don't do this, I don't recommend any of it. Not only do you risk destroying or damaging the controller in the process, you also push what amounts to exposed wires very close to your metallic fridge wall. If a fire is started from your extreme tampering with these electrical components you'll have no one to blame but yourself. 

With that in mind, I insulated the back wall with a couple layers of electrical tape, shortened the exposed portion on any of my wires that were beyond what was absolutely necessary, plugged it all in, and it worked like a charm. The encounter was a victory but I think we've shown it as an example of what not to do.


A couple setting adjustments later and it was in tip top order. Now just add flesh right?

Wrong!!!

Now the not so fun part, cleaning. Cleaning cleaning cleaning. I took all the hardware that wasn't screwed down, and some that was such as the evaporator cover, out of the fridge. I used a rinse-less cleaner I've used several times before to clean and sanitize brewing equipment. 

The instructions say to use 1oz per every 5 gallons of water, but I've found it tends to be a little too potent at this concentration. It leaves the slightest film in places that have a tendency to pool. On a vertical surface, like brewing pots and fermenting bottles upside down, it won't leave a trace. But for this I dropped the concentration down to .75oz per 5 gallons. As you can see I'm wearing gloves because this stuff will dry the heck out of your hands. Not enough moisturizer in the world will do you any good for about six hours if you chose to play around with it at full strength. 

So here I am, coating every possible surface as liberally as possible and scrubbing as I go. 


Still going


Done. I can truly say that this was a fascinating build. It spanned so many levels of inquiry and different methods of achieving my final goal, and the best part is that this is only the beginning. Now the real work of meticulously tinkering begins. I'll keep you updated as I go along, and whether you can handle another build or not, the next one is already under way. Look for another project involving electricity and water, now including welding and woodwork. Until next time,
Best wishes - Tyler



No comments:

Post a Comment